Watsonville High junior wrestler Abel Pena won the 122-pound division at the Apple Cider Classic on Saturday in Watsonville.
Pena beat Alisal High’s Enrique Zavala by a 13-1 major decision in the first-place match. It was a dominant finish to an even more dominant day, which featured three wins by fall leading up to the final.
Watsonville freshman Joaquin Mosqueda took second in the 108-pound division, falling in the first-place match to Coalinga High’s Wyatt Bedrosian by a 4-2 decision.
San Benito High won the tournament’s team championship with 207.5 points. Watsonville finished tied for 13th (30).
• St. Francis 67, SLV 42 - Jason Gallo had 19 points, Chase Watkins poured in 17 and the St. Francis High Sharks thumped the San Lorenzo Valley High Cougars 67-42 on Friday night in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play.
Sandor Rene Rodriguez had eight points and 10 assists for the Sharks (11-2, 2-0), which outscored the Cougars 25-7 in the second quarter.
The win was Ed Kelly’s 300th career win.
St. Francis hosts Soquel High on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
• Salinas 64, NMC 56 - Jeremy Heitzman had 15 points and 17 rebounds in the North Monterey County High Condors’ 64-56 Monterey Bay League Gabilan division loss on Friday night in Castroville.
Dulian Morelos added 14 points and Abraham Calderon chimed in with 10 for NMC (10-4, 1-1), which travels to undefeated Monterey High on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
• St. Francis 43, SLV 36 - The St. Francis High Sharks edged the San Lorenzo Valley High Cougars 43-36 on Friday night in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play.
Janiya Sevilla had 18 points and Janessa Yniguez added 10 for St. Francis (7-1, 2-0).
The Sharks host Soquel High on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
• Harbor 3, Aptos 0 - The Harbor High Pirates blanked the Aptos High Mariners 3-0 on Friday night in the teams’ Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League opener.
Aptos travels to Soquel High on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
• SLV 5, St. Francis 0 - The St. Francis High Sharks lost, 5-0, to the San Lorenzo Valley High Cougars on Friday evening in each teams’ Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League opener.
• NMC 1, Monterey 0 - The North Monterey County High Condors improved to 2-0 in Monterey Bay League Pacific division play with a 1-0 win over Monterey High on Friday.
Graciela Mares scored the game’s lone goal and Nicole Garcia made nine saves for NMC (5-0-1, 2-0), which hosts Alvarez High on Wednesday at 5:45 p.m.
• North Salinas 4, Pajaro Valley 2 - The Pajaro Valley High Grizzlies fell 4-2 on Friday night in Monterey Bay League Pacific division play.
The Grizzlies (1-5, 0-2) travel to cross-city rival Watsonville High on Wednesday at 6:45 p.m.
• Santa Cruz 111, Austin 108 - Phil Pressey had 27 points, Dennis Clifford added 22 points and 10 rebounds and Alex Hamilton chipped in 19 points in the Warriors 111-108 overtime victory over the Austin Spurs on Sunday.
After opening the season by losing seven of their first nine games, the Warriors have won nine of their last 11 games.
Santa Cruz (11-9) played the Vipers on Monday night — the results of that game were not known before print — and return to Kaiser Permanente Arena on Wednesday at 7 p.m. to play the Canton Charge.For the complete article see the 01-10-2017 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 01-10-2017 paper.
Share on Facebook