The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs’ playoff chances took a big hit with Wednesday night’s 4-1 Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress division loss to King City.
The defeat dropped M.V.C. (4-4-1) into fourth place in the league, and moved King City (5-3-1) into second.
Only the top team in the PCAL-Cypress receives an automatic berth to the upcoming Central Coast Section playoffs, but the runner-up gets to play the champion of the PCAL-Santa Lucia, Pacific Grove, in a postseason play-in game.
The Mustangs host Carmel tonight at 5:45 p.m.
In other boys’ soccer action from Jan. 31-Feb. 6:
• St. Francis 6, at Oakwood 4 - The Sharks won Wednesday’s PCAL-Santa Lucia scorefest thanks to Joey Correnti (2) and Cesar Sanchez’s (3) five combined goals.
St. Francis (6-9, 6-8) finishes its season against Anzar at a date still to be determined.
• Ceiba 9, at Trinity 0 - Eight players scored for the Spartans in their PCAL-Santa Lucia drubbing on Wednesday.
Abram Gonzalez scored two goals, Diego Padilla scored once and made two assists and Brian Mendez scored and dished an assist.
Ceiba (12-2-3, 10-1-3) closes out its season tonight against Stevenson.
• Pajaro Valley 4, Gonzales 1 - Kevin Rincon, Alan Bedolla, Samuel Cortez and Guadalupe Medina scored in the Grizzlies’ PCAL-Mission win on Wednesday.
Pajaro Valley (3-13-1, 3-9) closes out its season tonight against Salinas at Geiser Field. First touch is scheduled for 6:45 p.m.
• Ceiba 6, at York 3 - Gonzalez scored three goals and made an assist, Padilla added two goals and two assists and the Spartans rolled to a PCAL-Santa Lucia win on Monday.
• Ceiba 10, at St. Francis 1 - Padilla scored four goals and made an assist in the Spartans’ PCAL-Santa Lucia rout of the Sharks on Feb. 1.
Jarrod Garcia scored twice, made an assist and also recorded a pair of stops in goal. David Romo scored two goals, and Gonzalez dished an assist.
LINES OF THE WEEK (Jan. 31-Feb. 6)
• Diego Padilla, Ceiba - Had four goals and an assist against St. Francis on Feb. 1.
UPCOMING GAME OF THE WEEK (Feb. 8-14)
• Watsonville at Soledad; Feb. 11, 5:45 p.m. - Wildcatz and Aztecs meet in key PCAL-Gabilan game in the Salinas Valley.