St. Francis’ 2-1 loss at Monterey on Wednesday all but eliminated the Sharks from a possible runner-up finish in the Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress division.
The Sharks (6-4-1, 5-4) would need to win its last three games, and have Seaside (8-1-5, 7-0-3) lose its last two games.
St. Francis played at Seaside on Thursday, but those results were not available before press time.
Only the PCAL-C champion receives an automatic berth to the Central Coast Section playoffs, but the runner-up also gets a chance at the postseason by way of a play-in game against the champion of the PCAL-Santa Lucia.
St. Francis plays at Soledad on Saturday at 11 a.m., and closes out the regular season on Monday against Pajaro Valley at Emmett M. Geiser Field in Watsonville at 6:45 p.m.
In other girls’ soccer action from Jan. 31-Feb. 6:
• Aptos 6, Harbor 0 - Brynn Mitchell scored two goals, Gisselle Vasquez scored and made an assist and the Mariners cruised to a Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League win on Tuesday.
Jazmin Castaneda, Haley Veldhuis and Julianne Houser also scored for Aptos, while Olivia Meier and Bella McDaniel dished assists.
• Soledad 2, at Pajaro Valley 1 - Jasmin Castillo scored the Grizzlies’ lone goal in their PCAL-Cypress loss on Tuesday night.
• Ceiba 4, York 2 - Nellie Rubio-Pintor scored a pair of goals to lead the Spartans to a PCAL-Santa Lucia win on Saturday.
• At Seaside 4, Pajaro Valley 3 - Andrea Lazcano, Jasmin Castillo and Sofia Nolasco scored for the Grizzlies in their PCAL-Cypress loss on Feb. 1.
• At M.V.C. 7, Monterey 0 - Kailey Morrell recorded a hat trick and dished an assist as the Mustangs cruised to a PCAL-Cypress win on Feb. 1.
Jana Komposch, Megan Zanardelli, Shayna Lebovitz and Caroline Sullivan also scored for M.V.C.
• At Watsonville 4, King City 2 - Elyanna Magdaleno scored twice in the Wildcatz’s PCAL-Mission win on Jan. 31.
• Aptos 1, Scotts Valley 1 - Haley Veldhuis scored off an Aubree Westjohn in the Mariners’ SCCAL tie on Feb. 31.
LINE OF THE WEEK (Jan. 31-Feb. 6)
• Kailey Morrell, M.V.C. - Had a hat trick and also dished an assist against Monterey on Feb. 1.
UPCOMING GAME OF THE WEEK (Feb. 8-14)
• Watsonville vs Soledad; Jan. 1, 6:45 p.m. - The top two teams in the PCAL-Gabilan meet for a critical showdown at Geiser Field.