The Aptos High Mariners boy’s cross country teams picked up Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League dual meet wins over St. Francis High and Scotts Valley High on Thursday at Pinto Lake County Park in Watsonville.
Aptos senior Jorge Benitez was the top finisher, completing the 2.93-mile course in 16 minutes, 2 seconds. Luis Garcia and Koya Oki followed for Aptos in second (16:06) and third (16:07), while St. Francis’ E.J. Kelly took fourth (16:23).
Aptos’ Jackson Schenone completed the top five in 16:32.
The Sharks were celebrating senior day and honored James T. Young, Jason Gallo, Adam Khan and Roberto Rocha.
GIRL’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Aptos 19, Scotts Valley 42; Aptos 15, St. Francis 50 - Marea Zlatunich beat the rest of the field by a little less than a minute to lead the Aptos High Mariners to a pair of Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League dual meet wins over Scotts Valley High and St. Francis High on Thursday at Pinto Lake County Park in Watsonville.
Zlatunich finished the 2.93-mile course in 17 minutes, 52 seconds.
Susana Estrada followed in second (18:51) and Sofia Natividad took third (18:58).
Scotts Valley’s Jessica Kain (19:27) and Kelly McEntee (19:42) completed the top five.
Camryn Ryan was St. Francis’ top finisher, placing 10th (20:52).
St. Francis was celebrating senior day and honored Olivia Burke and Doreen Chen.
GIRL’S WATER POLO
• Aptos 16, SLV 7 - Kelly Taylor scored six goals, Skylar Poulos added four and the Aptos High Mariners thumped the San Lorenzo Valley High Cougars on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division play.
Kristen Malone and Jordan Wagner each made four assists for Aptos (14-3, 9-1) in the win.
The Mariners travel to Carmel High on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
• Watsonville 3, Pajaro Valley 0 - The Watsonville High Wildcatz swept the Pajaro Valley High Grizzlies, 25-17, 25-17, 25-14, on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Pacific division action.
Watsonville head coach Tom Schatz praised his team’s unity in the win and also gave props to Pajaro Valley’s Jaqui Lopez, calling her “an amazing player.”
Watsonville plays at Seaside on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m., while Pajaro Valley plays at Monterey High at the same date and time.
• St. Francis 3, Mt. Madonna 2 - Led by seniors Sam Bellucci, Emma Ryan and Audrey Ryan, the St. Francis High Sharks edged the Mt. Madonna Hawks, 25-21, 20-25, 23-25, 25-21, 16-14 on Thursday night in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic league play.
St. Francis (15-9, 3-7) continues its league slate on Tuesday at Scotts Valley High at 6:30 p.m.
• MVC 3, Christopher 0 - The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs recorded a 25-14, 25-22, 25-17 sweep of the Christopher High Cougars on Wednesday night in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division play.
Cassidy Schurman had nine kills and four aces, Abbey Lynch added eight kills and two blocks and Mattea Romo chimed in with eight kills for M.V.C. (10-8, 6-2), which plays at Salinas High on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
Allie Tillery finished with four aces and four kills.
• Alisal 4, MVC 3 - Della Zhou and Grace Sumares won their singles matches for the Monte Vista Christian Mustangs in Thursday night’s Monterey Bay League Gabilan division loss to Alisal.
The doubles team of Catherin Chen and Kaitie Amado also won for M.V.C.
• Aptos 7, St. Francis - The Aptos High Mariners inched closer to their second consecutive Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League championship with another shutout victory over St. Francis High on Thursday in Aptos.