Watsonville High’s Luke Meyers and Joaquin Mosqueda placed third in their respective weight division at the Apple Cider Classic on Saturday in Watsonville.
Meyers beat Ballermine’s Alex Rodriguez, 5-3, in the third place match at 147 pounds, while Mosqueda edged San Benito High’s Noah Zaragoza in the third place match at 115 pounds.
Watsonville’s Tyson George took fourth at 128 pounds, falling to Sonora High’s Trevor Davis in the third place match.
St. Francis High’s Felipe Padia-Noriega (222 pounds) and North Monterey County High’s Arturo Perez (162) also took fourth in their respective weight class.
Pajaro Valley High’s Alejandro Vasquez (222) finished seventh in his weight class and his teammate, Rigoberto Herrejon (197) finished eight, while fellow Grizzly, Irepan Romero (162) lost in the consolation championship.
• Watsonville 2, Alvarez 0 - Denise Corrales and Brianna Guerrero both scored to power Watsonville High to its first Monterey Bay League Gabilan division victory on Friday night in Watsonville.
Watsonville (5-3-2, 1-1) hosts Christopher High on Jan. 12 at 6:45 p.m.
• Pajaro Valley 40, Watsonville 37 - Christian Quintero had 19 points, Tony Reyes added 10 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks and Pajaro Valley High outlasted rival Watsonville High in its MBL-Pacific division game on Friday night.
Five other players scored for Pajaro Valley (8-6), which hosts North Salinas High on Wednesday night at 7 p.m.
• St. Francis 49, Scotts Valley 41 - Jason Gallo had 21 points and seven rebounds, Chase Watkins chipped in 20 points and eight boards and St. Francis High edged Scotts Valley High in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action on Friday night.
E.J. Kelly dished six assists and Joseph Ramirez grabbed seven rebounds.
“Gallo and Watkins really dominated inside and carried us offensively,” said St. Francis head coach Ed Kelly.
• Aptos 60, SLV 40 - Blake Welle lifted Aptos High over San Lorenzo Valley High with 26 points and 12 rebounds on Friday night in SCCAL action.
Rashaun Wooden chipped in 16 points and six rebounds for Aptos.
• Scotts Valley 44, St. Francis 38 - St. Francis High dropped its SCCAL matchup with Scotts Valley High on Friday night.
Chloe Deleissgues had 14 points and Janiya Sevilla added 13 for St. Francis.
• Aptos 69, SLV 12 - Gabby Giuffre finished with 20 points, five steals and four assists for Aptos in its SCCAL victory over San Lorenzo Valley High on Friday night.
Hannah Hocom added 14 points for Aptos, which had eight different players score.