The Aptos High boys golf team inched closer to the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League championship with a pair of wins over Santa Cruz High and St. Francis High at Seascape Golf Course on Thursday.
The Mariners, who improved to 10-0 in SCCAL play, beat Santa Cruz 190-260 and St. Francis 190-305.
Aptos’s Cole DeFrancesco and Adam MacDonald tied with Santa Cruz’s Paul Soetaert for medalist honors at 1-over par 36.
Aptos’s Nick Gavassee (38), Max Stobaugh (39), Johnny Staka (41) and Jake Lanagan (41) also played for the Mariners, who face-off against San Benito High on Tuesday at San Juan Oaks.
Izzy Mendez led St. Francis with a 49. Bill Xiao (53), Dylan McKenna (67), Aaron Soto (68) and Joseph Martinez (68) also golfed for the Sharks.
• Aptos 3, Mt. Madonna 1 - Aptos handed Mt. Madonna its first SCCAL loss of the season on Thursday night behind Kacey Losik’s 15 digs, 11 kills, 26 assists and two aces. The scores were: 25-23, 25-23, 22-25, 25-14.
For Aptos, Jordan Notari had 10 digs, 15 kills and five aces. Jackson Shirley and Noah Eitzen combined for 19 kills and 11 blocks. Christian Segura made 26 digs and three assists. Michael Spinelli dished 19 assists. Bryce Edwards tallied 12 digs.
Mt. Madonna had Luca Perruzi notch 10 kills and Brigg Busenhart had 12.
• MVC 3, San Benito 1 - J.P. Thrasher had 11 kills, 23 assists, two aces and 11 digs, Jeric Baladad made 22 digs and Monte Vista Christian knocked off Monterey Bay League Pacific division-leading San Benito, 25-22, 19-25, 25-22, 27-25, on Thursday.
Riland Wagner chipped in 18 kills and 10 assists. Will Forbes added four kills and four blocks.
M.V.C. (9-6, 4-3) plays in the Baler Classic today.
• MVC 15, PV 0 - M.V.C. dropped 10 runs in the second inning of Wednesday’s MBL-P win over Pajaro Valley High.
Samantha Baer homered and doubled. Savannah Kraemer homered. Isabel Hollingsworth tripled, and Haley Hollingsworth hit a pair of doubles and scored thrice.
M.V.C., which lost to Pacific Grove High on Thursday in non-league action, returns to MBL-P play on Monday at home against North Salinas High.
• St. Francis 3, Carlmont 1 - Chase Watkins struck out 11 batters over 6 2-3 innings to lead St. Francis to its sixth straight win on Thursday.
Watkins allowed five hits and three walks.
C.J. Gomez doubled and scored a run. Julian Mendoza, Josiah Granados-Diaz and Brandon Moakler all knocked in a run.
• Palma 4, MVC 0 - Harrison Zischke had a pair of hits, including a double, in M.V.C’s MBL-Gabilan division loss to Palma High on Thursday.
Garret Laine also had two hits for M.V.C.
• Watsonville 8, NMC 6 - Max Ramirez tossed six strong innings to lead Watsonville High to its fifth straight MBL-P win on Wednesday.
Ryan Rivera notched the save, and had a hit, two walks and four RBIs at the plate. Ramirez and Jason Garza had 2 RBIs apiece.
BOYS TRACK & FIELD
• Watsonville still undefeated - Rolando Llamas and Miguel Leon were double-winners for Watsonville in its MBL-P quad meet with Pajaro Valley, M.V.C. and Seaside High on Wednesday in Watsonville.
Llamas won the shot put with a toss of 38 feet, 11 and 3-4 inches, and his throw of 118-4 in the discus was also good enough for first.
Miguel Leon won the 1,600-meters in 5 minutes, 0.99 seconds, and the 3,200 in 11:05.11 to help Watsonville improve to 3-0 in league meets.
M.V.C.’s Daniel Brierley won the 100 (11.84) and ran a leg for the Mustangs’ victorious 4x100 relay team (45.87), which also included Andrew Montoya, David Wang and Nick Bautista.
• Aptos 110, Soquel 23 - Hunter Matys and Owen Mastroprieto were double-winners for Aptos in its blowout SCCAL win over Soquel on Wednesday.
Matys won the 100 (11.75) and the long jump (21-2.5), while Mastroprieto was first in the 110 hurdles (16.03) and 300 hurdles (45.57).
GIRLS TRACK & FIELD
• Ruiz moves into 2nd - Layla Ruiz ran the second fastest time in the 1,600 in Watsonville program history at Wednesday’s MBL-P quad meet against Pajaro Valley, M.V.C. and Seaside.
Ruiz, a freshman, clocked in a 5:21.54. in the four-lap race.
Watsonville improved to 3-0 in MBL-P meets.
Daniela Salazar won the 400 (1:05.31) and the 800 (2:38.08) for Watsonville.
M.V.C.’s Faith Jimenez was first in the long jump (14-11) and the 100 hurdles (18.47).
• Aptos 86, Soquel 40 - Brynn Mitchell was a double-winner for Aptos, as the Mariners squeezed by Soquel High in their SCCAL dual meet on Wednesday.
Mitchell took first in the long jump (16-4) and triple jump (35-3).
Natalia Ackerman set the league’s best mark for the season in the high jump by clearing 5-0.
• Hartnell 6, Cabrillo 5 - Cabrillo College had 10 hits, but left 10 runners on base in Thursday’s Coast Conference Pacific division loss in Salinas.
Easton Vidales had three hits, including a triple and a double, and had two RBIs and two scored runs.
Kai Moody also had three hits, including a double.
Cabrillo (11-20, 4-7) hosts Hartnell College today at 2:30 p.m.
• Hartnell 6, Cabrillo 5 - Cabrillo scored four runs in the seventh inning to tie it up, but Hartnell prevented extras with a walk-off win in Thursday’s CC-South division game.
For Cabrillo (10-22, 3-8), Micaela Decker had two doubles, and Leticia Gallegos also had two hits, including a double. Gallegos knocked in a pair of runs and scored once.
Angelica Marquez had two hits, and Hana Lindenmuth doubled.
Cabrillo travels to Gavilan College on Tuesday at 3 p.m.