The Aptos High Mariners opened their season with a 16-3 Monterey Bay League Gabilan division win over Santa Cruz High on Thursday.
Skylar Poulos and Kelly Taylor had four goals each and Kristin Malone and Jordan Wagner added three scores apiece.
Aptos returns to the pool on Tuesday at 5 p.m. in a home match against Christopher High.
BOY’S WATER POLO
• Santa Cruz 18, Aptos 5 - Cameron Wagner and Beck Escalante each scored a pair of goals but it wasn’t enough for the Aptos High Mariners in an 18-5 season-opening Monterey Bay League Gabilan division loss to Santa Cruz High on Thursday.
Tony Stanger made two saves for Aptos, which continues its season on Tuesday at 7 p.m. against Christopher High at home.
• St. Francis 3, Aptos 0 - The Aptos High Mariners closed out their preseason slate with a 25-10, 25-22, 25-15 loss to St. Francis High of Mountain View on Thursday on the road.
Peyton Dueck led the team with nine digs and Jillian Rodriguez finished with a team-high seven kills.
Aptos (0-4) begins its Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League season on Tuesday at Santa Cruz High at 6:30 p.m.
• Presentation 3, MVC 0 - The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs lost in a 25-20, 25-23, 25-23 sweep to Presentation High on Thursday in their preseason finale.
Cassidy Schurman had 13 kills, Mattea Romo added eight kills and 24 assists and Allie Tillery chimed in with seven kills and two blocks.
M.V.C. (3-3) opens up its Monterey Bay League Gabilan division season on Sept. 14 at Alisal High at 6:30 p.m.
• St. Francis 3, Oakwood 0 - The St. Francis High Sharks finished up their preseason schedule with a 25-17, 25-22, 25-20 sweep of Oakwood on Wednesday in Watsonville.
Emma Ryan and Samantha Bellucci each finished with 13 kills, while Audrey Ryan added 32 assists and five aces.
St. Francis (5-1) begins its Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League slate on Tuesday at home against Harbor High at 6:30 p.m.
• Watsonville drops two - The Watsonville High Wildcatz dropped back-to-back games against Notre Dame-Salinas and Santa Cruz High on Wednesday and Thursday night, respectively. Against ND-Salinas, Watsonville lost 25-18, 25-14, 25-10 and the Wildcatz fell 25-11, 25-15, 25-12 to Santa Cruz. Both were non-league contests.
Watsonville (2-4) hosts its annual tournament on Saturday before starting Monterey Bay League Pacific division action on Tuesday at North Monterey County High at 6:30 p.m.