Eric Vazquez scored two goals, Jeal Leal dished a pair of assists and the Watsonville boys soccer team shut out Aptos, 4-0, on Monday in Aptos to start the 2018-19 campaign with a win.
Angel Luis Hernandez and Andrew Celedon also scored for Watsonville (1-0), which plays its first match of the Homestead Christmas Cup on Saturday at Lincoln High at noon.
Aptos (0-2-1), which played Monte Vista Christian to a 1-1 tie on Wednesday, hosts Ceiba College Prep on Saturday at 7 p.m.
• M.V.C. starts strong - M.V.C. started its season with a 5-0 rout of St. Francis on Monday and a 1-1 tie against Aptos on Wednesday.
Against St. Francis (0-1), A.J. Garza, Andrew Bachman, Terrell Brown, Josh Hollingsworth and Austin Killinski all scored for M.V.C. (1-0-1), while Logan Pluckhan made three assists.
Johnny Brinton scored in the tie against Aptos.
The Mustangs host Palma today at 5:45 p.m.
• M.V.C. 2, PCS 1 - Kailey Morrell scored a pair of goals off assists from Emily Edgerle and Shayna Lebovitz to lead the Mustangs to a win over Pacific Collegiate School on Wednesday.
M.V.C. (1-1) plays at North Salinas today at 3:30 p.m.
• Aptos 2, Watsonville 0 - Olivia Meier and Brynn Mitchell scored goals for Aptos in its season-opening shutout against Watsonville on Tuesday.
Aptos hosts Presentation of San Jose on Monday at 7 p.m.
Watsonville (0-1) plays in its tournament on Saturday against Latino College Prep at 7 p.m.
• St. Francis 3, Harbor 2 - McKenna Bedolla scored two goals and Ashley Raich added another in the Sharks’ season-opening win on Monday.
Verenice Renteria and Riley Croghan made assists for St. Francis (1-0), which plays at San Lorenzo Valley on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.
• M.V.C. 50, Gunderson 37 - Mackenzie Tellez poured in 16 points, Madison Hill added nine points and 12 rebounds and the Mustangs cruised to their second win of the season on Tuesday.
Angelina Cortes and Aleah Rafat added seven points apiece for M.V.C. (2-0), which plays at Scotts Valley at 7 p.m.
• Pajaro Valley 66, Carmel 63 (2OT) - Christian Quintero scored 25 points, and Justin Rodriguez added 19 points to help the Grizzlies outlast the Padres in double-overtime on Tuesday.
Bryan Gallardo chipped in seven points, five rebounds and a pair of assists for the Grizzlies (1-0), which host San Lorenzo Valley on Saturday at 3 p.m.
• Watsonville 48, Soledad 32 - Lucas Ruiz hit four 3-pointers and finished with 14 points to lead the Wildcatz to a victory on Tuesday.
Isaac Fernandez added 10 points in the victory for Watsonville (2-1).
The Wildcatz host Sobrato on Saturday at 2 p.m.
• Aptos 56, Castlemont 53 - The Mariners on Monday began the season with a close win in Oakland.
Aptos (1-0) welcomes in Salinas tonight at 7 p.m.
G LEAGUE BASKETBALL
• Agua Caliente 103, Santa Cruz 84 - Kendrick Nunn finished with 24 points, six rebounds, three assists and four steals but the Warriors suffered their first loss of season on Monday in Ontario.
Michael Gbinije and Darius Morris both scored 14 points in the loss.
Santa Cruz (8-1) plays the first game of home double-header against the Texas Legends tonight at 7 p.m.