Watsonville sophomore cross country runner Layla Ruiz was recently named to the Central Coast Section Second Team.
Ruiz this season won the Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress division championship, took second in the CCS Division I race and advanced to the California Interscholastic Federation state meet for the second straight season.
Carlmont junior Kaimei Gescuk was named the CCS Runner of the Year and the Junior of the Year. Santa Cruz’s Lila Roak earned Senior of the Year, Melissa Cichon walked away with Sophomore of the Year and Jannah Sheriff was tabbed as the top freshman.
• Aptos 68, Alisal 62 - Max Pepperdine had 25 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and two steals to lead the Mariners to an impressive non-league win over the Trojans on Tuesday.
Anthony Sanchez added 15 points and six rebounds, and Logan Feldbrugge chipped in 15 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two steals. Hunter Matys contributed seven points, five rebounds and five assists.
• St. Francis 57, Gonzales 45 - C.J. Gomez and Andrew Seymour each scored 13 points for the Sharks in a non-league win on Tuesday.
Joseph Ramirez and E.J. Kelly added 11 points apiece. Kelly also dished eight assists.
• Watsonville 51, Pajaro Valley 44 - Behind tough defense, the Wildcatz stunned the rival Grizzlies in a non-league game at Kaiser Permanente Arena in Santa Cruz on Dec. 6.
Watsonville held Pajaro Valley to just 42 percent shooting from the field. Carlos Rodriguez (10) was the lone Grizzly in double digits.
• Aptos 53, Edison 48 - Natalia Ackerman had 18 points and 11 rebounds and Hannah Hocom added 17 points in the Mariners’ non-league win on Tuesday.
Gabby Giuffre added 14 points for Aptos, which also scored a 69-53 win over Palo Alto in its home opener on Dec. 7.
Ackerman had another double-double, finishing with 23 points and 12 rebounds. Hocom (13) and Giuffre (10) also scored in double digits.
• MVC 55, Stevenson 37 - Mackenzie Tellez had 20 points, four rebounds and four steals, Madison Hill added 14 points and five rebounds and the Mustangs cruised to a non-league win on Tuesday.
Angelina Cortes added nine points and five rebounds for the Mustangs in the win.
• King City 36, Watsonville 33 - Jenny Vasquez had 10 points, five rebounds and six steals in the Wildcatz’s non-league loss on Tuesday.
• Alisal 49, St. Francis 47 - Janessa Yniguez scored 22 points and Tanya Gallo added 10 in the Sharks’ non-league loss on Monday night.
Yniguez also scored in double figures in three other games. She dropped 16 points in a 48-43 win over Pajaro Valley on Dec. 6, poured in 18 in a 43-31 loss to San Benito a day after and had 12 in a 33-18 win on Dec. 8.
• Pajaro Valley 57, Christopher 44 - Michelle Ibarra (24) and Jayleen Solorzano (19) combined for 43 points in the Grizzlies’ non-league win on Tuesday night.
• San Benito 63, Watsonville 37 - Ruby Galvan scored 18 points in the Wildcatz’s loss to the Haybalers in the championship game of the Watsonville High tournament on Dec. 8.
• Aptos 1, St. Francis 1 - Caroline Miller made 11 saves to preserve a non-league tie against West Catholic Athletic League power St. Francis on Tuesday.
Gisselle Vasquez scored an unassisted goal for Aptos.
• Watsonville 2, PCS 0 - Elyanna Magadeleno and Nayeli Jimenez scored in the Wildcatz’s PCAL-Mission opener on Tuesday.
Brianna Guerrero dished an assist on both goals.
• Aptos 3, San Benito 1 - Brynn Mitchell scored two goals and Jazmin Castaneda added another to lead the Mariners to a non-league win on Dec. 6.
• Ceiba 8, Oakwood 4 - Diego Padilla scored five goals in the Spartans’ PCAL-Santa Lucia win on Tuesday in Gilroy.
Abram Gonzalez, Jesus Ochoa and Albert Bernardino also scored for Ceiba, which enters the winter break at 4-1-1 overall and 3-0-1 in league action.
Padilla also scored two goals in the Spartans’ 6-1 win over Anzar on Dec. 7. Romo also netted a pair of goals in the league victory.
• St. Francis 3, Trinity 1 - Sean Farley scored two goals to lead the Sharks over Trinity Christian in PCAL-Santa Lucia play on Monday.
Garrett Lee also scored for the Sharks.
• Watsonville 4, Los Gatos 0 - Alexis Valenzuela, Angel Luis Hernandez, Eric Vasquez and Jeal Leal scored in the Wildcatz’s win in the Homestead Christmas Cup tournament.
Vasquez and Hernandez dished assists for Watsonville (3-0-1), which will play Menlo-Atherton in the Homestead Christmas Cup Championship on Saturday at 3 p.m.
G LEAGUE BASKETBALL
• Rio Grande Valley 96, Santa Cruz 95 - Damion Lee had 29 points and seven rebounds and Antonius Cleveland added 20 points, six rebounds and six assists in the Warriors loss on Dec. 8.
Santa Cruz (10-4) welcomes in Sioux Falls tonight at 7 p.m.