(Watsonville Police officer Fernando Lopez invites members of the public to become members of the department’s Post Incident Team at Watsonville Plaza recently. Photo by Tarmo Hannula/Register-Pajaronian)
WATSONVILLE — The Watsonville Police Department is looking for volunteers to join the Post Incident Team.
The PIT is composed of police and neighborhood leaders who are brought together soon after a serious incident has occurred, such as a shooting, stabbing, homicide, fire, etc.
The team is sent out to the neighborhood in an effort to help calm fears, quell rumors, prevent retaliation and disseminate information about counseling or other social services.
An orientation will take place for the public on June 23 from 9 a.m. to noon on the fourth floor of the Civic Plaza building, 275 Main St. Qualifications include:
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Bilingual or monolingual English or Spanish speakers are desired.
• Volunteers are subject to criminal background check.
• Volunteers may be exposed to inclement weather and must be capable of walking distances up to a mile.
• Volunteers must possess interpersonal communication skills, demonstrate empathy, be open to all points of view, and understanding for individuals whom have experienced a traumatic event.
Advanced registration is required by calling 763-5678. For information, email [email protected]